The Student News Site of Albuquerque Academy

The Advocate

The Advocate

The Advocate

The Pressure to Respond

A call to learn more before giving in to the pressure to respond

Editorial note: We are publishing several opinion articles about the evolving conflict between Israel and Hamas. These articles do not represent the views of The Advocate, the Editorial Board, or Albuquerque Academy. We hope you will read them and leave with an appreciation of the complexity of this issue that spurs you to learn more. We welcome – and hope – to publish more opinions from the community. If you would like to write on this topic for The Advocate, please contact us by emailing [email protected]. The Advocate reserves the right to deny publication of any piece at any time. We will not tolerate attacks on our writers or discrimination in any form against any group. Read our full editorial statement here

—–

As an American Jew, I am expected to give my say on the current Israel-Hamas conflict. My initial response is often anger and annoyance. As someone who has never even been to Israel, it feels unfair that I have to come up with a response that not only validates the pain and fear many of my fellow Jews are experiencing, but also denounces the pain and fear Israel has caused many Palestinians.
However, as I talk with more non-Jewish people in my community, I become aware of my unavoidable tie with Israel. Without acknowledging it, I pledged to the Israeli flag and sang the Israeli national anthem at Jewish summer camp. I was urged to go on a Birthright trip to my “homeland” just as my cousins had gone for their B’nai Mitzvahs. Our prayers include Israel, and learning Hebrew has been a part of my Jewish education. By being an American Jew, I have been afflicted by Israeli nationalism.
When your “homeland” is involved in such a conflict, it is incredibly difficult to criticize it. So, the instinct of many American Jews is to take Israel’s side unconditionally.
I can’t help but feel compassion towards Jews continuously struggling with what feels like the loss of their safety and home. However, I also believe that it is a form of ignorance and is harmful to downplay the brutal suffering of the Palestinian people because of one’s sensitive tie to Israel.
I stress the importance of searching for factual information, thinking about it critically, and being open to critique and reflection; this not only applies to Jews, but to all Americans, whose government is actively supporting Israel’s invasion and retaliation towards Palestinians. I have found resources like Jewish Voices for Peace, Combatants for Peace, and Jewish Currents helpful. Like me, many other Jews are finding it difficult to come up with a response. Sometimes it is best not to respond, but instead to learn.

View Comments (1)