The Student News Site of Albuquerque Academy

The Advocate

The Advocate

The Advocate

Academy’s “Jett”-Propelled Offense Dominates Rio Grande as the Chargers Destroy the Ravens in Football Season Opener

Chargers bring the heat in first game of the season.

On Thursday night, before a packed crowd, the boys varsity football team scored a big victory against Rio Grande in their first home game, beating the Ravens 50-0. In fact, the Chargers racked up so many points in this lopsided win that officials ended the game in the third quarter, enacting the “mercy” rule.

Both the Charger offense and defense played magnificently, but the real star of the game was running back Jett Galles ’25, who made his football debut. All eyes were on Galles, who consistently powered his way through the weak Raven defense and scored two rushing touchdowns. Galles would have scored a third time–on a 50-yard punt return– but a penalty nullified the touchdown.

Lucas Tracy ’24, in his first game as the Chargers’ quarterback, also showed flashes of brilliance, as he threw for four touchdown passes. Tracy kept the Raven defense off balance with his smart mix of rushing and passing plays. 

The landslide victory was a great beginning for the Chargers’ new head coach, David Lee. He said he was pleased with the team’s performance and teamwork.

From the first minutes of the game, it was clear Galles was a force to be reckoned with as he demonstrated his physical prowess and speed. He electrified the crowd and showed all that he was going to take charge. During the first quarter Galles scored the first points of the game with a rousing 45-yard touchdown run, dodging defenders and breaking tackles. He blasted into the end zone.

The Chargers took the lead 7-0.

In the second quarter, after Galles got Academy into the red zone with a 30-yard punt return, the Chargers’ aerial assault began. Tracy threw four touchdown passes to four different receivers. The first scoring pass play was for 15 yards to Finn Thompson ’26. Tracy then connected for 22 yards to Gage Conway ’26 in the end zone. His third touchdown pass in the quarter was for 18 yards to Carter Speegle ’24. After the Charger defense recorded a safety, the Academy quarterback launched a 60-yard bomb to Andres Grine ’24 to make the score 37-0.

As the second half began, things got even worse for Rio Grande as the Charger defense continued to shine. Linebacker Zachary Waghorn ’26, who had multiple sacks and a blocked punt in the game, intercepted a Raven pass that would lead to another Charger touchdown–on the very next play, Galles again turned on his “jetts” as he sprinted through the defense 22 yards for another touchdown.

The score now was 44-0.

But it didn’t end here. After a punt by Rio Grande, Academy took over on offense. Wide receiver Conway was now at quarterback, and he wasted no time getting started in the new position. On his first play from scrimmage, he tossed a 38-yard touchdown pass to Thompson.

At this point, officials implemented the so-called “mercy” rule and called the game.

The boys have chemistry. You can’t go deep in the playoffs without having a bond. With that bond, they got stronger today, and that’s what I’m most proud of.

— Coach David Lee

“Coming into the game, I was a little nervous,” Galles said afterwards. “But then I settled in. I ran the ball hard, and I was finding holes, and I got some really good blocks.”

Coach Lee spoke after the game on his strategy going up against Rio Grande.

“First game, the biggest things were for us to minimize the penalties, minimize the mistakes and to execute. Our offense is a new offense, so we definitely wanted to execute.”

Academy’s head coach also talked about what he wants to work on and improve for the next game.

“Mainly a few mistakes; we left two interceptions on the table that we should’ve picked off. We had five penalties, including a few offsides. So, we just need to reduce the mistakes. We have the talent, and we just need to stay healthy.”

But the coach said he was very pleased with the team’s performance.

“The boys have chemistry. You can’t go deep in the playoffs without having a bond. With that bond, they got stronger today, and that’s what I’m most proud of.”

The Chargers’ next game will be Friday when they play at Moriarty. We encourage students, teachers and others in the Academy community to support the Chargers as they look to build on this solid victory.