Holiday Meals – New Mexico Style

[column size=one_half position=first ]

Mole

Article by Hinano Watchman
Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Thanksgiving is a day of appreciation for our loved ones and of being grateful for everything we were blessed with. Let’s get excited for Thanksgiving this year by exploring New Mexico’s amazing traditional dishes, including the delectable mole sauce. Tasked with making this chocolaty dish, it seemed appropriate that I research a bit on the topic first. Mole, Mexico’s national food, originated in either Puebla or Oaxaca, and there are several competing stories that relate how it was invented. In the most popular origin story, a group of nuns needed to create a worthy meal for the archbishop, but only had a random selection of ingredients. Lucky for them, they managed to create the thick, velvety sauce we now know as mole.

Now that I knew a little more about mole, I was able to make it. With the recipe being known for having a variety of many ingredients, I knew this was going to be a time consuming but fun project. With the help of my parents, I was able to enjoy mouthwatering mole-covered turkey with rice. The moment the gravy-like sauce touched my lips, I knew the effort was worth it. The spiciness was not too overwhelming, and I could distinguish a hint of chocolate. With traditions like this, New Mexico Thanksgiving definitely stands out, and will continue to as it is passed down from generation to generation.

[/column]

[column size=one_half position=last ]

Calabacitas

Article and photos by Averee Martinez

Calabacitas is a traditional Mexican dish consisting of sautéed yellow squash, garlic, salt, cheddar cheese, onions, zucchini, and, optionally, New Mexico corn and chile. This dish first came into existence around the sixteenth century and is Pueblo in origin, as it was based on squash, which grows well in New Mexico. New Mexico corn and chile were added to the dish  due to trade along El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro, .     

Overall, calabacitas is an easy dish to make. Including meal prep time, it takes about 30 minutes to make. This is a great recipe to make with your family, as many people can help with chopping and cooking. I loved making this colorful dish and would recommend it to liven up your holiday meal!

[/column]