Schedule change proposed for grades 8-12 (correction)

Academy Staff

This headline and article are a correction from Volume 42 Issue 3 of the print edition. The original article was on page 2.

ARTICLE by Hannah Cheves

For the past three years, 10/12 faculty members have been working to revise student schedules and shift from the current format to a new rotating schedule, which allows students to meet for longer periods, less frequently. Rather than following the same sequence every day, the proposed classes will follow a rotation in the morning and part of the afternoon.

“Students learn better at different times of the day. Some students learn great at eight o’clock in the morning; some don’t,” 10/12 Dean of Students David Kim said. “If we have the same class at eight o’clock every morning, it’s great for some students, and not so great for others.”

The new schedule will also include a mixture of extended and abbreviated class periods. Extended periods will be 75 minutes, and abbreviated periods will be 48 minutes, instead of the current 50 minutes.“The purpose of the longer classes is not to have a 75-minute lecture, but ideally to take on some other things that are out there in the educational world in order to do a real inquiry base,” Kim said. Another aspect of the new rotating schedule will be the introduction of an eight-day cycle, as opposed to the current ten-day cycle. Within the eight-day cycle, classes will meet six out of the eight days. While classes will not meet as frequently throughout the semester, the time spent in each class will be comparable to the current amount because of the combination of extended and abbreviated class periods.

The new schedule will, however, require a slightly different time commitment for teachers working part-time, many of whom are in the World Languages department. “With a morning rotation and a partial afternoon rotation, part-time teachers will need to be available for either the morning or the afternoon,” Kim said. In general, the changes will not affect many faculty, but they will shift some teachers’ working hours.

Common times and drop periods will also be affected by the new schedule, but instead of being decreased, students will end up having more free time. Kim thinks that students will respond well to the changes. “I hope students will understand that we spent a lot of time thinking about this,” Kim said. “We put a lot of thought into this in terms of what we can do to make this school better for students.”