The Student News Site of Albuquerque Academy

The Advocate

The Advocate

The Advocate

November Premier League Update

Armaan and Albrecht chronicle the month in soccer in this latest installment.
November Premier League Update
Wikimedia Commons

This is a late November update for the Premier League. First, we will go over the top scoring players: Erling Halland (Manchester City) is currently the highest scoring player with 14 goals and three assists, and in second place is Mohamed Salah (Liverpool) with 10 goals and five assists, followed by Jarrod Bowen (West Ham United) and Son Heung-Min (Tottenham Hotspur).
In this update, we will also go over each game with great detail which may include statistics, a bit of information on how the goals were scored, and a bit of background about what these games mean to the players and their teams. Here is a rundown of each game’s highlights from November 11th to November 27th.

Games on November 11th
On November 11th, Bournemouth secured a great win against Newcastle United. Dominic Solanke (Bournemouth) scored a goal in the first half, and Newcastle scored an own goal (in which the defender or any other player on the team accidently scores on their own goal) after a corner kick. Newcastle had many opportunities to score but they couldn’t finish.
The next game was Manchester United vs. Luton Town. Manchester United had a very strong, aggressive offense from the start. They had 15 shots on goal and 65% possession. Center back Victor Lindelöf Scored a surprising goal after a corner kick in the 59th minute. The game ended 1-0.
Everton played a very close game against Crystal Palace. Everton’s hopes were high after Vitaliy Mykolenko scored a goal in the very first minute. A penalty was given to Crystal Palace, its first of the season, which Eberechi Eze won and scored. This was an incredible game so far. The rest of the first half was uneventful but Everton’s top scorer Abdoulaye Doucouré, secured the 2-1 lead off the right post in the 49th minute.
Odsonne Édouard (Crystal Palace) tied the score in the 74th minute. Idrissa Gueye (Everton) scored in the 86th minute, and marked the end to a great game.
During Arsenal vs. Burnley, Arsenal held a tight grip on the ball with 64% possession and 16 shots on goal. Despite their efforts, neither team scored in the beginning. James Trafford (Burnley) had many great saves; however, Arsenal broke the barrier and Leandro Trossard scored right before halftime. The game wasn’t over yet because Josh Brownhill scored for Burnley in the 54th minute. William Saliba scored a header which gave Arsenal a 2-1 lead in the 57th minute.
Burnley’s defense was relatively held together, but they couldn’t deal with the Arsenal corners, so Oleksandr Zinchenko scored a goal. Things were looking good for Arsenal until Fabio Vieira committed a reckless foul and received a red card in the 83rd minute. The game ended 3-1.
The Tottenham Hotspurs started off strong in their game against Wolves, and Brennan Johnson scored an early goal in the 3rd minute. No other goal was scored in the first half. The Spurs defended their lead as best as they could. The Wolves had 17 shots and the Spurs had 6; however, Tottenham had 51% possession. Still no goal was scored until the 90+1 minute where Pablo Sarabia scored for the Wolves, and both teams had 7 more minutes of extra time. Tottenham’s poor defense continued and Mario Lemina scored in the 90+7 minute for the Wolves which concluded the game 2-1.

Games on November 12
The next games were on November 12th, starting with Aston Villa beating Fulham 3-1. Antonee Robinson scored an own goal in an attempt to defend a cross; this gave Aston Villa an early lead. Captain John McGinn scored a great goal for Aston Villa in the 42nd minute right before halftime. Ollie Watkins scored the third goal of the game in the 64th minute. Raúl Jiménez scored his first goal for Fulham in 18 months, and he gave Fulham a glimmer of hope, which was short lived. The game ended 3-1.
Salah put on a great show against Brentford, scoring two goals for his Liverpool team. Darmin Nunez almost scored but he was offside with just the tip of his foot. Diogo Jota scored a great goal for Liverpool in the second half. The game ended 3-0.
West Ham United’s game against Nottingham Forest ended in a 1-1 draw in the first half. Anthony Elanga took his shirt off in celebration of his goal that gave Nottingham Forest a 1-2 lead later in the match. Unfortunately, the game ended after Jared Boing and Tomáš Souček scored two beautiful corner kicks for West Ham United with a final score of 3-2.
During Brighton vs. Sheffield United, Simon Adringra scored Brighton’s only goal in the 6th minute. Mahmoud Dahoud (Brighton) received a red card during a game in the 69th minute after he stepped on an opponent’s leg with his sharp cleats. Things were looking good for Brighton until Adam Webster scored an own goal two minutes after the red card. The game ended 1-1.
Chelsea and Manchester City had an amazing game. Manchester City got a penalty in the first half after Marc Cucurella grabbed Halland’s waist. Halland scored the penalty kick putting Manchester City in the lead, 1-0. Thiago Silva (Chelsea) scored a right post header on a corner kick. Raheem Sterling gave Chelsea a 2-1 lead thanks to an assist from Reese James. Manuel Akanji scored a header for Manchester City afterwards, tying the score 2-2. The first half ended with a score of 2-3, after Erling Halland slid the ball into the goal. Chelsea tied the score after a goal by Nicolas Jackson. Rodri (Manchester City) kicked the ball onto the side of an opponent’s foot and made the ball fly around the inside of the goal. The game ended 4-4 after a penalty kick by Cole Palmer (Chelsea).

Games on November 25
After these games, Manchester City was first in the league, with Liverpool not far behind in second place. This created a highly anticipated game when both matched off against each other on November 25th. Erling Halland scored a goal in the first half. Both teams had many opportunities to shoot on goal, but they couldn’t score. Trent Alexander-Arnold eventually scored for Liverpool in the 79th minute. It was a very close game but neither team came out on top with a 1-1 tie.
Bournemouth played against Sheffield United and Marcus Tavernier scored for Bournemouth in the 12th minute. Sheffield United opened up lots of times but Bournemouth had many opportunities that failed in execution. The ball was stolen from Wes Foderingham (Sheffield United) by Justin Kluivert, who scored after it was punted towards the upper half of the field (45+3 minute), giving Bournemouth a 2-0 lead. Marcus Tavernier scored again for Bournemouth in the 51st minute. Oli McBurnie scored a header for Sheffield United in the 96th minute. The match ended 3-1.
Another game was the match between Nottingham Forest and Brighton. Anthony Elanga (Nottingham Forest) scored a header in the third minute. After two failed attacks by Brighton, Evan Ferguson scored, which tied the score 1-1. João Pedro was a sub for Brighton late during the first half. Nottingham Forest’s defense wasn’t closed down so Pedro scored a free header. The first half ended with a score of 1-2. After the first half concluded, a penalty was given to Brighton due to excessive pushing. Pedro scored it and gave Brighton a 3-1 lead. A penalty was given to Nottingham Forest and Lewis Dunk was punished with a yellow card for tripping Chris Wood. Dunk complained too much about the penalty decision and was given a red card. Morgan Gibbs-White scored a great penalty in the bottom left corner, changing the score to 3-2. There were many saves and a great tackle. However, Nottingham Forest couldn’t tie the score and the game was over.
The match day continued with Arsenal va. Brentford. Brentford almost scored; however, the attempt was narrowly saved by a defender. There was a goal in the first half for Arsenal but it was called offside. Kai Havertz scored the final goal of the game in the 88th minute.
Newcastle and Chelsea had a very eventful game with lots of goals. Alexander Issak (Newcastle) scored the first goal of the game in the 13th minute. Raheem Sterling made a magnificent free kick in the 23rd minute. Newcastle scored two more goals in 90 seconds. The first goal was a header performed by Jamaal Lascelles and the second goal was from Joelinton Cássio Apolinário de Lira. Young star Anthony Gordon scored his fifth goal of the Premier League season in the 83rd minute. The game ended with a score of 4-1.
There were no goals scored in the first half of the game featuring Crystal Palace and Luton. Teden Mengi scored a corner kick for Luton in the 72nd minute. Micheal Olise (Crystal Palace) scored a solo goal in the 74th minute. Jacob Brown tied the score with his first ever goal for Luton Town. The game ended 1-2, making it Luton’s first home game win this season.

Games on November 26
On November 26th, the Tottenham Spurs went up against Aston Villa. Giovanni Lo Celso (Tottenham Spurs) scored a one touch curveball in the 22nd minute. After one very close offside call from each team, Pau Torres scored a header from a freekick. Tottenham Spurs had many opportunities but they were all offsides. Ollie Watkins scored a great goal for Aston Villa. The commentators mentioned that Son Heung-Min (Tottenham Spurs) scored a hatrick of offside goals.
The same day, Manchester United played against Everton. Alejandro Garnacho scored a beautiful goal of the year worthy bicycle kick in the third minute.The second half ended with a score of 1-0. Marcus Rashford scored a perfect penalty in the 56th minute for Manchester United. Anthony Martial (Manchester United) scored the final goal of the game.

Games on November 27
The last game was Wolves versus Fulham on November 27th. Fulham started off strong; Alex Iwobi scored in the 7th minute. Matheus Cunha scored a header for the Wolves in the 22nd minute. Fulham was awarded a penalty after an aggressive tackle. William Borges da Silva scored the penalty and Fulham regained their lead. The Wolves received a penalty and Hwang-Hee Chan tied the score. To everyone’s surprise, the game turned into a penalty shoot out. One bad tackle led to Fulham getting a second penalty. da Silva scored the third penalty this game, ending it 3-2.

The Premier League had a great eight match days in November, featuring countless top level goals including a strong contender for the prestigious goal of the year award. The standings at the end of November were Manchester City at first with 29 points, and Liverpool at second with 28 points.Third and fourth place were Arsenal with 27 points and Tottenham with 26 points, respectively. Stay tuned for our December update, where we will cover every game played that month.