Game day results for Saturday, Nov. 8

Academy Staff

Nov. 8, 2014 was a big day for varsity Charger athletics. Here are the results from Saturday’s games and meets:

Boys Soccer:

The boys varsity soccer team placed second in Saturday morning’s state soccer championship for Class 5A. The team fell to Santa Fe’s Capital High School 2-1. The game was tied at the end of regulation, so the teams played two 10-minute overtime periods. Both overtimes were “golden goal,” meaning that the team who scored first would win. In the second overtime, Capital High School made a play down the left side and scored.

The boys had advanced to the finals after securing a 2-0 win against St. Pius X on Friday, Nov. 7.

The team was the number one seed in the Class 5A division. They finished the season with a record of 18-3-2 (W-L-T) and as the District 5 champions.

“There’s no reason we should have lost. The refs were good, and everyone played well. We made two mistakes and Capital took advantage of them,” team member Lucas Ridgeway ‘15 said. “It was hard walking off my last game with a loss, but if I could choose any team I’ve played on for my last game to be with, I would choose this team.”

Girls Soccer:

The girls varsity soccer team also placed second in the state championship tournament for Class 5A. The team lost to St. Pius X 2-1 in the finals. The Chargers were up 1-0 at halftime due to a free-kick goal by Skylar Carson ‘17, but the Sartans scored on a penalty kick at the beginning of the second half, then scored again with fewer than 15 minutes left in the game.

The girls started off as the number six seed but worked their way up to the finals round, winning games against Del Norte High School (2-0), Los Alamos High School (1-0), and the number two seed, Aztec High School (1-0). They finished the season with a record of 12-9-2 and placed second in District 5.

“We are obviously very disappointed to have lost yesterday, but considering how far this team has come this season, I think we have a lot to be proud of,” team member Arynn Gallegos ‘16 said. “We never ceased to believe in each other.”

Cross Country:

The varsity cross country teams both placed second at the state championship meet held at Rio Rancho High School. In the boys race, Los Alamos High School placed first and Miyamura High School placed third. In the girls race, Los Alamos High School placed first and St. Pius X placed third.

“We did our best. That’s all I could ever ask of these guys. Los Alamos just ran faster than we did,” captain Carlos Cdebaca ‘15 said. “I am so unbelievably proud of every boy and girl on the team. Sure, we didn’t go out the way we would’ve liked to, but at the end of the day it’s not about the trophies, it’s about the guys and girls we went to battle with. And I will keep them forever in my heart.”

To view the boys’ times, click here.

To view the girls’ times, click here.

Volleyball:

Varsity volleyball placed second in the Class 5A District 5 championship game. The team lost 3-1 against St. Pius X. Academy won their third set 25-23, but lost during their first, second, and fourth sets with scores of 26-24, 25-15, and 25-16, respectively.

“I am a little disappointed [about Saturday’s performance], but excited for another chance at state,” outside hitter Allie Williams ‘15 said.

Currently, the team has 50 set wins and 36 set losses, with a 14-9 game record. They will advance to the state championships, which will be held Nov. 13-15.

Football:

Varsity football lost 28-21 against Moriarty High School in the last game of their season. At halftime, the game was tied, 14-14. In the third quarter, Moriarty made a touchdown, increasing the score to 14-21. Early in the 4th quarter, running back Devin Green-Portigal ‘15 tied the score 21-21. With 3:12 left on the clock, Moriarty scored the winning touchdown, ending the game 28-21.

“I thought everybody played hard and that everybody did what they could,” captain Zach Moya ‘15 said. “There were parts of the game where we could have done better, but the overall tone of the game was where we wanted it to be.”

Additional reporting by Eliza Ennis ’15, Hisham Temmar ’16, and Calvin Stewart ’18