List of 10/12 Division Clubs

10/12 Division Clubs

Technical Theater – Students learn about lighting and stage managing as well as prop making in Technical Theater. Their work is included in Academy theater productions.
Classics Club – Although English classes sometimes have students read classics, those that want more go to classics club. They meet once a month and discuss the book. Here, students encounter some of the greatest literature ever written.
Dean’s Council – Students that are not Senators or Class Officers, but still want to participate in student government, meet at Dean’s Council with the 10/12 Division Dean, David Kim, to discuss matters important to the student body.
Student Senate – We are the Albuquerque Academy 10/12 Division student government organization. We represent the students, advocating for policy changes and organizing events on their behalf. Senators are elected by their classmates every year.
Class Officers – Class officers are elected by their classmates every year. Class officers are in charge of organizing social events for their peers, such as the student dances and pep rally activities.
CONNECT- Community service club meetings range from presentations from students or community leaders, to discussions on service, to hands on projects from blanket making to cupcake decorating.
Half the Sky – Half the Sky Club, based on a popular novel by Nicholas Kristof, meets with the goal of promoting equality and women’s empowerment worldwide.
The AdvocateThe Advocate is Albuquerque Academy’s student-run newspaper. One issue covering the Academy’s news and current trends comes out once every five weeks. The Advocate recently launched its first news website: www.theacademyadvocate.com
Other VoicesOther Voices is a student-run literary magazine featuring student and faculty-created literature, art, and media. Students of all grades are welcome to submit. Check out othervoicesaa.tumblr.com for some submissions.
Birding Club – The Academy has beautiful wildlife and hosts dozens of species of birds. On Friday afternoons, students and teachers go “birding” on campus, looking for as many different species of birds as they can. Students learn about anatomy as well as about specific species. Staring off into space isn’t always a bad thing!
Environmental Club – Did you know The Academy is one of the top users of water in New Mexico? The Environmental club works to make the school more conservative and less wasteful. They promote environmental awareness and create projects to show the fun ways of recycling, reusing etc. They started a Trashion Fashion show in Albuquerque. All the outfits and sculptures are made of what one might call trash. But one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.
Garden Club –  The Garden Club maintains the West Campus garden, which provides healthy, organic produce to the Upper School Dining Hall
Math Club and Contests – What better way than to send a couple hours on Sunday learning the beauties of math. In Math club, students not only do contest math, but are taught to think about math in a whole new way. The club prepares students for UNM-PNM and Purple Math. Everything is related to math. Even the snacks are used for strategic games.
Robotics Club – Students learn about robot building and coding. This new club is just beginning, but is already building some machines and programming.
Science Bowl – Teams of 4 (+ 1 alternate) compete in a buzzer game to answer as many science related questions as they can. The Academy has had several teams that have qualified for Nationals and won.
Science Olympiad – There are test events such as meteorology and material science, and there are build events like bridge building and boomilever. The middle school and high school teams compete in each event and try to gain as many points as possible. The Academy team has been to several national competitions in recent years.
AA Guitar Quartet – This group consist of 4 students that excel at playing the guitar. They audition at the beginning of the year.
AA Video Club – Students create and film shorts. They do everything from screenwriting to producing.
Dance Troupe – At the beginning of the year, dancers (boys and girls) audition to be part of the select group. They rehearse 3 days a week for several hours to perfect pieces that range from jazz to contemporary.
Figure Drawing Club –  Students draw hired models and work with paint and pencil to capture the human form.
Eastern Philosophy Club – Eastern Philosophy Club members learn about the plethora of eastern philosophies such as Upanishad philosophy. They also participate in morning meditations.
Speech and Debate – Albuquerque Academy has one of the strongest speech and debate teams in New Mexico. Last year, they placed first at the state competition. Students can compete in speech events, such as humorous interpretation, and in debates, such as Public Forum or Lincoln Douglas debates. Throughout the year, speech and debaters work on pieces and compete in tournaments that lead up to the state and national tournaments.
Mock Trial – The Academy’s Mock Trial team is a two-time national championship winning team that allows students to gain an insight into legal theory and procedure by placing them in a courtroom with a case, judge, and real lawyers as jurors.
Unaccompanied Minors (A Cappella) – Students audition for this a cappella group. They sing anything from the modern pop song to the classic love songs.
Thespian Troupe 740 –
Unaccompanied Minors (A Cappella) – Students can audition for the a cappella group. They sing and create accompaniment with their voices. They sing anything from the modern pop song to the classic love songs. They perform at many different events throughout the year and even perform as singing Valentines.
Bowling Club – 10/12 Division Head, Sonia Roth, runs the school’s bowling team. Students have fun learning how to bowl and even participate in weekend competitions.
Chess Club – Students learn the best strategies to win chess matches. Everyone is welcome, from beginners that don’t know the difference between pawns and rooks, to some of the best of the best that win every match and many competitions.
Kitchen Chemistry (Baking Club) – In Kitchen Chemistry, students not only get to eat delicious baked goods, but they also learn some of the best recipes from each other. On days the baking club meets, you’ll find swarms of people eager to get their hands on a scrumptious scone or meringue.
Latin Club – Latin Club is a group of students that meets weekly to learn about Roman history and culture as well as how Latin can be related to English.
Magic! The Gathering – This popular card game is quite well liked at the Academy. After school, students and teachers gather together and play Magic. They also compete in local competitions.
Model UN –
Photography Club –
Quidsi (formerly Brain Talks) –
Role Playing Games Club –  Students come together and play fantasy games. They also play Dungeons and Dragons and have a gaming language of their own.
Screenwriting club –  Students learn from a talented lawyer who is also a screenwriter. They learn the basics and what makes a screenplay good. They examine scripts of famous and successful movies as well as work on their own ideas and stories.
Self-Defense Club –
Source (Bible Club) –
Spark Social Media – This club is focused on creating a event-based social media website for the Academy community.
Strategic Games –  Students get together on friday afternoons to play board games and eat snacks. It’s the perfect way to end a long week.
TedXYouth Day –
Ultimate Frisbee –

Even more clubs:

Celtic Band

Cool Breeze (girls singing ensemble)

Roots Music Club

French Club

Financial Literacy Club

Model UN

SDLC: Student Diversity Leadership Club

Young Liberals

Young Republicans

Saltwater Adventure Guild