Exploring Duke City with “Absolutely Albuquerque”

From Electric Playhouse to Warehouse 505, follow Amanda Machon and Hakim Bellamy to some of Burque’s hidden gems.
“Absolutely Albuquerque” is available on the Very Local app.

On October 12th, the TV series “Absolutely Albuquerque” was released to the public on Very Local, an app dedicated to local news, after being initially screened at the Kimo Theatre. The show stars local celebrity and Red Light Cameras rockstar, Amanda Machon. It follows Machon in each episode as she shadows a guest star who showcases some of their favorite places in Albuquerque. The series aims to show viewers that there is more to Albuquerque than what is shown in popular television and history books. This city has developed a rich culture of its own that too few people know about.
In the show’s first episode, Machon follows former Albuquerque Poet Laureate Hakim Bellamy as he introduces her to four unique parts of Albuquerque. First up, they go to Electric Playhouse, a local interactive art gallery and concert venue, where one of the biggest strengths of the series, Machon’s willingness to have fun, is displayed. Within the first few minutes she, Bellamy, and Electric Playhouse CEO Brandon Garret engage each other in a heated game of Guacamole. The rules are simple: The floor lights up and each player is assigned a color. The first person to step on all of the blocks containing their color (which move around at random) wins. Naturally, Garret was victorious, though Machon and Bellamy made a valiant effort. After the game, Machon and Bellamy toured the dozens of interactive art exhibits in the Electric Playhouse, describing it as “like being inside a video game.”
After a brief intermission, the pair head to Rude Boy Cookies, a bakery that hires from all demographics, where they are greeted by co-owners Mike Silva and Kristin Dowling. While there, they decorate cookies alongside Dowling, who is also an artist. While I applaud their effort, it is clear that they are not professionals. Thankfully, there are many aspiring culinary artists honing their craft who more than make up for their lack of experience.
They then journey to High Desert Flame Works, where more than 350 students learn to make art out of glass. Rashan Jones, the company’s owner, lets Machon and Bellamy create their own wine glass, instructing them on how to make a glass stem. They watch as Jones makes the head of the glass, and, finally, they weld it to their stem. Machon’s willingness to learn is rewarded with a slightly lopsided wine glass and some beer.
Last but not least, they visit the youth non-profit Warehouse 505. Executive director Thierry Gonzales introduces the pair to the organization’s purpose of teaching children how to make a living off of doing what they love. Machon and Bellamy eagerly follow Gonzales to a DJ class where students can make around $50 an hour. Naturally, their spirit drives them to compete with each other to determine who is the better amateur DJ. It was a close call, but I’d say the point goes to Bellamy because he remembered to press the play button before attempting to start.

Finally, Machon says goodbye to Bellamy, appreciating all the unique facets of Albuquerque he had shown her.
In the first episode of “Absolutely Albuquerque,” Machon does not depict our city in the dramatic ways that are seen in other media. She does not make a spectacle of our crime rate or the poverty that is present in many parts of the city. Instead, she introduces us to people from different walks of life like Hakim Bellamy, showcasing a side of New Mexico that is rarely seen by outsiders.
If you want to discover more places to visit inside the city, you can watch “Absolutely Albuquerque” for free on the Very Local app.