Academy Extravaganza and District Meets

An update on the Academy’s dominant Cross Country teams.
  • Anna Hastings leads the pack in the girl’s 4A race (Extravaganza).

• Akilan Sankaran nears the finish line (Extravaganza).

• Liam Mckee at District.

• Grace Morneau (left), Addie Siembieda (center), and Jac Lujan (right) run together with other Academy runners (District).

• Jac Lujan rounds a corner in the girl’s District race.

• Andrew Kevan (center) and Callahan Camp (center left) run in a pack of Academy runners (District).

• Anna Hastings leads in the girl’s District race.

• Academy’s Akilan Sankaran (front) and Nicholas Ponte (behind) run together (District).

• Liam Kastrin at the Academy Extravaganza.

• Theodore Roundface sprints in to finish first in 4A boys at the Academy Extravaganza.

• Addison Julian at the 2-mile mark (Extravaganza).

• Emma Michael pushes ahead of two Los Alamos runners (Extravaganza).

• James Mattox focuses on his race (Extravaganza).

• Addison Julian runs alone in second place (District).

• Andrew Kevan rounds a corner at District.

• Addie Siembieda is the center of a group of Academy racers (District).

• Anna Hastings approaches the finish line to take first in the girl’s 4A race (Extravaganza).

• Nicholas Ponte finishes fourth in 4A boys at Academy Extravaganza.

• Liam Kastrin sprints the last 100 meters at Academy Extravaganza.

• Addison Julian sprints her final 100 meters to come in second for girls at District.

• Academy’s Elliot Hickey runs alongside a Del Norte runner at the AA Extravaganza.

• Addie Siembieda picks up the pace for the last few hundred meters (Extravaganza).

• Akilan Sankaran (front) leads Academy’s Elliot Hickey (left) and Nicholas Ponte (right) in the front pack at District.

• Addie Siembieda (front) and Delaney Wagner (back) run in District.

• Evie Soule runs at AA Extravaganza.

• Aleea Bridges picks it up to finish ninth, giving Academy a clean sweep of the top nine spots at District.

• Delaney Wagner (left), Addie Siembieda (center), and Grace Morneau (right) pose with the District Champion trophy awarded to the Academy girl’s team.

• Academy runners (from left to right) Nicholas Ponte, Akilan Sankaran, Elliot Hickey, Andrew Kevan, Will Fetz (not pictured) Liam Mckee, and James Mattox make up 7 of the boys District top ten.

• Evie Soule (left) and Delaney Wagner (right) pose with their medals (District).

Recently, the Academy’s cross country teams have competed in two large meets: the Academy Extravaganza and district. The Academy Extravaganza, on October 21, hosted more than 100 teams and saw Academy’s Nicholas Ponte ‘26 place fourth in the boys 4A race and Anna Hastings ‘26, Addison Julian ‘26, and Emma Michael ‘28 take first, second, and fourth in girls 4A, respectively. Both the boys and girls teams took first place in the team rankings, the boys winning over Los Alamos by two points, and the girls knocking out Los Alamos 27 to 36.

More recently, Academy took their winning squad to the district cross country meet, where teams have a chance to qualify for state. Academy showed up in a big way, bringing 18 of their best runners to compete against Hope Christian, Bernalillo, Del Norte, and Valley. Academy runners won both races, with Nicholas Ponte ‘26 winning first in the boys race and Anna Hastings ‘26 taking first overall in the girls race. Nicholas Ponte ‘26, Akilan Sankaran ‘25, Elliot Hickey ‘26, Andrew Kevan ‘26, Will Fetz ‘25, Liam Mckee ‘28, and James Mattox ‘26 made up seven of the top ten runners in the boys race. The Academy girls had an even bigger finish when they had a clean sweep of the top nine. Academy boys and girls became district champions, punching their ticket to state.

This keeps the girls team undefeated this season, riding their win this week into a face-off at state with Los Alamos, the state champion for the last four years. State will be on November 11 at Academy. Boys will race in the 4A race at 2:30 p.m. and the 4A girls will race at 3:15 p.m.

View Comments (3)