The Best-Dressed Mr. Janos

Introducing an exciting new member of Albuquerque Academy
Courtesy of Brett Janos

Welcome to Academy, Brett Janos!

Originally from the small town of Truth or Consequences a couple hours south of Albuquerque, Mr. Janos has recently joined the Academy teaching crew, teaching history, coaching middle school basketball, and dressing up in wacky costumes.

Janos attended Hot Springs High School in T or C. During his time as a student, he participated in everything he possibly could. “The nice thing about going to a small school in a small community is you can kind of do everything,” Janos said. He played basketball, track, football and golf, and was active in student council. Janos was elected class vice president his junior year and class president his senior year. He also participated in Science Olympiad and biology club, and graduated as valedictorian of his small graduating class of 100. When asked about balancing all these extracurriculars and schoolwork, he says, “I look back like ‘Oh, that was easy,’ but at the time [it was] probably exhausting.”

Young Janos envisioned a career in business after high school. He went off to college with his declared major as accounting, but “[I] took one class and said, ‘This is absolutely terrible.’”He switched to physics before deciding on a career in law. He finished his law degree in 2010 and worked in immigration law at a firm in Albuquerque for a few years before he opened his own firm with another lawyer he was working with at the time. Through all of this, “[Teaching] was always in the back of my mind,” Janos said.

When a teaching fellowship opened at the Academy, Janos saw the chance to begin his new career as a teacher. He is currently teaching three courses: U.S. History, History of the Universe, and Topics in Bioethics, while also completing his dissertation for his PhD in history at UNM. He also coaches middle school basketball and spends time with his family.

I think people learn better when they are happy or when something triggers the emotion of joy.

— Mr. Janos

In the classroom, Janos likes to keep students engaged by using something a little unconventional: humor. “I think people learn better when they are happy or when something triggers the emotion of joy.” One of his favorite parts of teaching at the Academy are the opportunities to be a bit outrageous and silly, whether it be homecoming week costumes and activities or the faculty-student dodgeball competition.

So far, Janos is enjoying his time at the Academy. He cites the supportive environment for both students and teachers as one of the key reasons why he feels the Academy is such a special school. He also praises the diversity of students and the willingness of the administration to make decisions “for the greater good.” Moving forward, Janos will continue to bring joy, humor, and positivity to the Albuquerque Academy community.