Student Council Helps Make 8/9 a Great Place

The 8/9 student council works hard to make an impact on our school community.

The 8-9 Student Council is a leadership group that Albuquerque Academy founded in 2017. Before the 8-9 Student Council was created, the 8-9 division had both a student senate, which dealt more with changing school policy, and class officers, who planned events, much like the 10-12 division has currently. At the end of each school year, current 7th and 8th graders hold elections to determine who their student councilors will be for the next year. Every year students select six students from each grade to be the next year’s representatives. The opportunity to become a councilor is open to new students as well. Jennifer Coston, the adviser of the 8-9 Student Council, said, “Traditionally, we only allow one new student from each grade, but this year we had two new students from the 8th grade.” Typically, a total of 12 students are elected per year, but in recent years it has varied from 13-15. In order to be elected, students must fill out an application and give a speech to their peers.
Student council members, once elected, start their duties at the beginning of the following school year. Their most important job is regularly meeting in McKinnon Hall. Council members work to explain issues about various aspects of school life expressed by the division to the administration. The Student Council also plans movie nights, dances, and any other events or activities for fun within the budget they set at the beginning of the year. Coston also mentioned that, “Additionally, we sometimes throw fundraising events—like our recent Valentine’s Day candy-grams [tiny candy packets] sales—to raise awareness and money for important issues and organizations.” She also said that, “Project Heart Start received the $454 we raised from selling candy-grams this year.” Student councilors have important jobs, getting elected by their fellow classmates to respond to feedback from their peers, plan dances and events, and make this school a better place.