7th Grade Welcomes Math Teacher Alvin Broussard [Interview]

Kiki Hall '24, Writer and Photographer

Math department faculty member Alvin Broussard is a new teacher this year at Academy in the 7th grade Red Chile pod. He has worked here in the summers before, so he is used to the campus, but we wanted to ask him some questions about his job change, teaching a new grade, and get some more information on who he really is. This was an exciting opportunity, and we thank Mr. Broussard for his time. It was a fun and enlightening experience, and we hope you feel closer to, and know more about your new teacher.

Interviewer: How is the job at Academy different than your old job?

Mr. Broussard: Things are very different. Before, I was working with high schoolers, and now I’m working with 7th graders. So the energy in 7th grade is a lot higher. The schedule is also a lot more flexible. The kids are very willing to learn and engage. It’s been a great experience so far, and I’ve had a pleasant transition.

I: What are the challenges of this new job?

Mr. Broussard: One of the challenges of my new job is the energy change, but also just figuring out the routines for 7th graders. And trying to figure out what’s an acceptable workload, and how much you know and are capable of.

I: What do you like best about the change?

Mr. Broussard: The thing that’s made me the most happy is the compassion that I see in the students for each other. And the community of the kids that are here, the people around them, and everyone is so willing to help. And everyone seems so accepting of differences from what I’m used to seeing. And that is impressive, and exciting, and it means a lot.

I: How is using Canvas different? Did you ever use a program like that?

Mr. Broussard: I never used Canvas, but we used a different program at the school I was at. So it’s just me getting accustomed to it.

I: How is the parent involvement different at the Academy?

Mr. Broussard: The parents are very involved, and that’s a good thing, it’s very exciting. As opposed to, parents are involved in a different way, and at different times in a public school. They both have their challenges, but it’s been refreshing here.

I: What do you like to do in your free time?

Mr. Broussard: I love sports, and I love to do anything that my daughters want to do, and right now that involves a lot of going to the park, and going to the different trampoline/jump places in the city. Riding bikes, hiking trails, usually anything outside and active.

I: What is something funny/interesting our readers would be interested to know about you?

Mr. Broussard: I used to have a lot of hair!

I: Why did you decide to become a teacher?

Mr. Broussard: I had a great math teacher, his name was Martin Paco; he taught me at Valley High School. I think he had one of the biggest impacts on my life, outside of coaches, and my parents obviously. But in terms of a teacher, and connecting with kids, and making math fun, he made me enjoy numbers, and he made me enjoy what I was doing more. And I think he pushed me, in a good way, to do more than I thought I was capable of doing at that time. That’s why I became a teacher.

The community of the kids that are here, the people around them, and everyone is so willing to help. And everyone seems so accepting of differences from what I’m used to seeing. And that is impressive, and exciting, and it means a lot.

— Alvin Broussard

I: Is the homework check/point system different than your old school’s disciplinary system?

Mr. Broussard: Yes, the differences in terms of discipline, I think it has to do more with the fact that we’re dealing with seventh graders, opposed to high schoolers. And I think kids are kids,  but as you get older you have higher consequences.

I: Is it a big change to be on such a big campus?

Mr. Broussard: Well, I’m familiar with the campus, and I was at a high school so we still had a big campus. But I think the big change is that I don’t get to roam the entire campus as much as I would like. You know, we’re busy in 6-7 and we don’t really get to go up there much. So, I guess that’s a surprise, I thought I would get to go up there a little more, so that’s the biggest change I guess.

I: What were you like when you were in middle school?

Mr. Broussard: I was a giant. I loved sports. I loved to learn. I was a lot like you guys; I enjoyed my friends, but the environment that I learned in was a little bit different.

I: Was your favorite subject always math?

Mr. Broussard: Yes, math has always been my favorite subject.

I: Was having all the separation/ groups (pods, families, villages, ect) confusing at first?

Mr. Broussard: I’m still confused! I’m still getting used to it.