Republicans Launch Bid to Impeach Gov. Lujan Grisham

The effort is very unlikely to succeed.
Photo by Adam Schultz
“Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham” (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0) by Third Way

New Mexico Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham is facing impeachment efforts led by state Republicans, marking a first in the state’s history after she issued an executive order banning gun-carrying in Bernalillo County. 

State Representative John Block has begun a process with the New Mexico Legislative Council Services to call for an extraordinary session to address the governor’s standing, currently slated to be discussed at the next legislative session. Block stated, “Regardless of the timeline, we will continue advocating for the rights of our citizens. [The governor’s executive order] touches the very core of our state’s values and principles. Asserting that no right is absolute leaves the door open for potential government overreach.”

If three-fifths of lawmakers from each chamber agree, they could convene an extraordinary session sooner. 

Responding to the unfolding events, the governor’s press secretary released a statement, saying: “It’s both disappointing and unsurprising that state Republicans are choosing political drama over constructive dialogue to protect New Mexicans.” 

Governor Lujan Grisham recently made international headlines when she issued an executive order on September 7th that banned guns from being openly carried in areas with high rates of violent crimes and firearm-related emergency department visits. Specifically, the order targeted Bernalillo County but was later revised to only include places where children are present, such as public parks and playgrounds.

This decision was a response to the rising trend of gun violence in Albuquerque, with the governor citing the tragic death of an 11-year-old in a road rage shooting as one of the motivations behind this act. The executive order framed gun violence as a public health emergency, granting the governor the authority to implement measures she deemed necessary. 

However, the order faced immediate backlash, with five federal lawsuits filed against it within a week, claiming it violated the Second Amendment and New Mexico’s open carry law. Despite the controversy, Lujan Grisham defended her decision, emphasizing her jurisdiction over state laws related to gun possession.

Within days,the controversy surrounding Governor Lujan Grisham’s actions reached Washington, D.C.. A House committee has already passed a resolution condemning the governor’s recent decision. However, the next step, a vote by the full House, is stalled for the foreseeable future while House Republicans struggle to pick a new speaker. Democratic Representative Gabe Vasquez, while supportive of the resolution, also recognizes the governor’s efforts to address the critical issue of gun violence. He noted, “The governor has ignited a crucial conversation, pushing state legislators to take meaningful action.

A spokesperson for the House Democrats  in Washington defended Lujan Grisham, expressing their disagreement with the impeachment push. As the political atmosphere remains charged, the countdown to the next legislative session has begun, with less than 120 days on the clock.

View Comments (3)