Stickers for a Cause

Student leaders bring art and service together with Mirukafei.

Mirukafei, started by Joanne Li ‘23, Lynn Zhang ‘23, and Karen Zhang ‘24, is a new community service project that raises money for non-profit organizations by selling stickers in both the East Campus and West Campus bookstores. It strives to support a wide array of local non-profits, especially those that may not be as well-known or funded.
As members of the community service club’s Executive Board, the team behind Mirukafei wanted to create a project that combined their love of art and service in a new way. They also wanted to go beyond organizations the Community Service Club works with and create a self-initiated community service project. The founders reached out to Ms. Johnson, Albuquerque Academy’s Director of Community and Global Citizenship, and applied for a grant from the Harry Messec Community Service Fund, which provides monetary assistance for student-led community service projects that engage the Albuquerque Academy community and benefit the broader community.
Mirukafei was able to start selling stickers in December 2022. Since then, the organization has raised over $1,600 for local nonprofits and sold over 1,600 stickers. They have supported Albuquerque’s Animal Humane, which aims to support Albuquerque’s animals through adoptions and care, the Trevor Project, whose mission is to end LGBTQ+ suicide, and are currently raising money for S.A.F.E House, a shelter for victims of domestic abuse. Mirukafei’s sticker designs revolve around the organization they are supporting and try to align with the goals and missions of the nonprofit. In the future, Mirukafei plans to expand. Recently, they have created a team of six designers, two social media managers, and one slide show designer for next year. In addition to finding new members, Mirukafei is also working on creating a website where anyone can purchase stickers. If you are interested in supporting this club, you can find their stickers in the bookstore or follow them on Instagram: @mirukafeisstickers.