Norah+Doss

Courtesy of Norah Doss

Norah Doss

Welcome (Back) to Academy Norah Doss!

Welcome to 8/9, Ms. Doss!
The 8/9 Division welcomes Norah Doss! Doss exclusively teaches 8th grade English. She loves teaching English, especially the writing component, because, “it’s awesome to see students grow and see improvements in [their] writing in real time.” She’s taught students of all ages, and says, “I love teaching adults, but I definitely prefer teaching middle school and high school.”
Ms. Doss is an Academy alumna, and said, “my dad taught here for over 20 years, so I really just grew up on this campus.” When asked how it feels to teach alongside her former mentors Doss responded by saying, “it’s awesome that I get to…learn from people I respected as teachers now as colleagues.”

Ms. Doss studied at Earlham College in Richmond, Indiana, and has a Bachelor’s Degree in English and Geology along with a Master’s in Teaching. As a child, Doss wanted to be a florist. She credits her decision to be a teacher partially to her Academy experiences; “I loved my teachers here so much… that I wanted to provide something similar to other students,” she says. Besides English, Doss has also taught theater and humanities. Ms. Doss expressed that “it’s nice [to teach at the Academy]… because everyone really is motivated to develop as students and people, and… one of the big things at Academy is being a lifelong learner, and I really see that now as an adult.”

I loved my teachers here so much… that I wanted to provide something similar to other students.

— Norah Doss

Outside of teaching, Doss is the assistant speech coach in the Albuquerque Academy Speech and Debate program, an activity she participated in as a high schooler. She also has a dream of one day writing a nonfiction essay collection! When asked about her hobbies Doss said, “I’m a really big knitter” and that she “will get very nerdy about knitting very quickly.” Doss enjoys knitting because, among other reasons, “the idea of making clothes is something that’s both body positive and environmentally friendly.” In high school, Doss even gave a speech about the history of knitting! Doss also loves hiking on weekends with her dog, and her favorite breakfast foods are New Mexican style burritos “with some red chili and potato,” and bagels, but “only if they’re toasted.”
You can find Ms. Doss in her office (MK220) or email her at [email protected]. Doss says that one thing she’d like the Academy community to know is that, “I’m just happy to be here.”

The Advocate • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

• C

Casey CitrinSep 22, 2022 at 3:40 pm

So happy to have you back here, Ms. Doss!!

Reply