Albuquerque’s Newest Celebrity: Rude Boy Cookies

If you’re searching for a fun spot to hang out with friends, go on a date, or just satisfy your cookie cravings, look no further than Rude Boy Cookies. A cozy, retro-themed cookie shop splashed with perfectly coordinated red, white, and black decor, Rude Boy offers a variety of cookies, ice cream sandwiches, milkshakes, and more, all at an affordable price. Walking in, you’re instantly welcomed by smiling faces and delicious smells, as well as large windows and comfy couches that make it easy to feel comfortable and enjoy the scenery of Albuquerque’s downtown area while you dive into your desserts. There’s no need to be worried that you won’t find a treat you will enjoy—the variety of desserts is large enough to have something that will please everyone. Along with traditional cookies, there are also New Mexican-themed cookies like horchata, as well as gluten-free and vegan cookies.

As I sampled various treats, I was shocked by the consistently incredible quality of each one. The most traditional cookies—like chocolate chip, snickerdoodle, and sugar cookie—were all spectacular. These classic cookies all had a perfect mix of chewiness and crunchiness, with no one flavor overpowering the others. This bakery’s satisfying traditional cookies are the perfect option for anyone that wants something familiar. For those who are interested in trying a unique cookie, the New Mexico-inspired horchata cookie is the way to go. Infused with the actual drink itself, this cookie captures the flavor of ingredients of rice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Along with its incredible flavor, the texture of this thick cookie is perfect as well: crisp on the outside with a delicious chewy center.

Besides cookies, Rude Boy Cookies also offers treats like the Mexican hot chocolate brownie. Although the bakery is dedicated to cookies, this brownie was just as exceptional. Much like the other desserts, this brownie captured the taste of hot chocolate in its chocolatey interior and the melted marshmallows on top.

Of course, it’s not surprising that everything tastes so amazing once you learn that the co-owner, Kristin Dowling, won the Food Network Christmas Cookie Contest last month. “You go into those competitions and you have to set yourself up for success. So, I went in, and I was like, ‘Kristin, you got this,’ and then when I found out what the challenge was, I was like, ‘Yes, done, got it, nailed it, perfect.’ It was amazing [to win], and it’s done so much for the business since then,” Dowling said. As an explanation of the creative cookies that helped her win, she told me about the process for Rude Boy’s more unique creations. “We always want to make things new, fun, and exciting. The specials are where we really get crazy. We like to experiment, which is so much fun because we change things monthly. For this month’s theme we wanted to do hot beverages and hot drinks so we brought our own twist on cookies to incorporate the hot drink theme,” Dowling said, referring to the horchata- and Mexican hot chocolate-based treats.

When asked about the future of the bakery, Dowling explained the cookie shop’s hopes. “Eventually, we would really like to expand. We have bigger plans, we just don’t know when or where or how. Our dream is to be bigger than this,” Dowling said. After my fantastic experience at Rude Boy Cookies, I can only hope that this fun and delicious cookie shop expands so more people can enjoy their delicious desserts.

• This bakery’s satisfying traditional cookies are the perfect option for anyone that wants something familiar.

• “We always want to make things new, fun, and exciting. The specials are where we really get crazy. We like to experiment.”

• Rude Boy offers a variety of cookies, ice cream sandwiches, milkshakes, and more, all at an affordable price.

• Besides cookies, Rude Boy Cookies also offers treats like the Mexican hot chocolate brownie.

• Large windows and comfy couches make it easy to feel comfortable and enjoy the scenery of Albuquerque’s downtown area while you dive into your desserts.

• Along with traditional cookies, there are also New Mexican-themed cookies like horchata, as well as gluten-free and vegan cookies.

• “Eventually, we would really like to expand. We have bigger plans, we just don’t know when or where or how. Our dream is to be bigger than this.”

(Gallery by Ale Geisel-Zamora)